17-18 June 2014, Porto, Portugal
The 17th ECA Workshop and first Annual Meeting of the association ECA took place from 17 to 18 June 2014 in the University of Porto, Portugal.
- Report on Progress in Quality Assurance in Higher Education, Daniel Gohring, European Commission
- Response by Rolf Heusser, Chair of ECA
- ECA Working Group 1 presentation, Mark Frederiks, ECA
- ECA Working Group 2 presentation, Ann Demeulemeester, NVAO
- ECA Working Group 3 presentation, Thomas Blanc de la Carrere, NVAO
- ECA Working Group 4 presentation, Madalena Fonseca, A3ES
Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior / Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education – A3ES
Following the recent development of quality assurance systems, namely those in the European space, the Portuguese state has decided to create the “Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior” (Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education – A3ES) by Decree-Law no. 369/2007, of 5th November, with the purpose of promoting and ensuring the quality of higher education. The Agency is a private law foundation, established for an indeterminate period of time, with legal status and recognised as being of public utility. The Agency is independent in its decisions which must take into account the guidelines prescribed by the State. The Agency initiated its activities in 2009. The internationalisation component has been given special attention with the international evaluation of the Agency and its application to become member of ECA, ENQA and register in EQAR. The Agency promotes the discussion of themes related to quality, namely by organising a biennial international conference and establishing a network of bilateral partnerships with similar agencies.