Higher education system in Croatia
In Croatia, the higher education sector is regulated by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sport. Quality assurance in higher education is regulated by the Croatian Agency for Science and Higher Education.
- 1 Types of institutions
- 2 Types of Programmes
- 3 Overview-degree-structure-Croatia
- 4 External links
Types of institutions
Higher education institutions in Croatia are universities, as well as faculties and academies of arts within a university; polytechnics and schools of professional higher education. They can be public or private. All higher education institutions fall under the supervision of the Ministry.
UNIVERSITIES with Faculties and Academies of arts
Universities are institutions that organise and implement university studies in at least two scientific and/or art areas, in several fields, including interdisciplinary studies. University constituents are: faculties, art academies and departments.
- Faculty is a higher education institution that as a university constituent organises and carries out university studies, and develops scientific research and professional work in one or more scientific and professional fields. The faculty may also establish and carry out professional studies.
Academy of arts
- Academy of arts is a higher education institution that as a university constituent organises and carries out university artistic studies, and develops first-rate artistic creative endeavour and scientific research in arts. The academy of arts may also establish and carry out professional artistic studies.
POLYTECHNIC and SCHOOL OF PROFESSIONAL HIGHER EDUCATION
Polytechnic (veleučilište) and school of professional higher education (visoka škola) are institutions that organise and implement professional studies. A polytechnics implements at least three different studies in at least three fields.
Types of Programmes
Higher education is performed through university and professional studies. University studies are performed at universities while professional studies are performed at polytechnics and schools of professional higher education. Professional studies can be performed at universities only exceptionally, with the prior consent by the National Council for Higher Education.
University study programmes
University study programmes have three levels: undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate. Professional study programmes levels are: short professional studies, undergraduate professional studies, and specialist graduate professional studies.
Degree structure scheme (ASHE website)
- Agency for Science and Higher Education (ASHE)
- The Croatian Qualifications Framework
- Evaluation procedures in higher education
- The Directory of accredited study programmes in Croatia